You need to decide what desk chair casters are responsible for and what functions they perform before delving into the issue of the rollers’ practicality. Rollers for office chairs are needed for
- Ensuring smooth movement of even the most massive leather chair on linoleum, carpet, or parquet.
- Uniform distribution of the weight load on the chair structure.
- Ensuring the transportability of the product from one place to another.
A comfortable upholstered or anatomical mesh chair cannot be practically used without properly selected casters. Why do office chairs have wheels, and do these elements have to be high-quality? Because hard and soft casters for office chairs guarantee smooth running and movement of furniture for home or office.
Requirements for office chair wheels
Casters for office chairs have to meet these requirements.
- Office furniture must be durable.
- Hard or soft wheels for office chairs, regardless of the surface of the floor covering, should roll easily.
- The quality of the wheels must be at a top-flight level, which will ensure their long-term operation. In the case of purchasing inexpensive chair models, it is recommended to change the rollers for new, good solutions developed and produced by the Stealtho Company. It pays great attention to the quality of its products, which are not only extremely well thought out and reliable but also have excellent aesthetic characteristics.
- The quality of the material should be good on the rollers themselves, as well as their fastening.
- If you wish, you can choose models of chairs equipped with wheel locks. Such chairs have significant advantages, as you can safely lean on them without the risk of falling to the floor.
The product has to be not only decent from a practical and aesthetic point of view but also odor-free.
Types of furniture rollers
The calculation of wheel load also depends on the type of wheelbase and material used: plastic wheels cannot withstand a weight of more than 60 kg and sudden jumps on uneven surfaces, while office chairs with casters made of PU can withstand up to 400 kg. You can independently distinguish the quality of the roller system of chairs directly in the Stealtho store. PU casters are very popular for good reasons as the material is a synthetic polymer that is several times better than the most durable rubber in terms of its characteristics. Gaming chair casters also can boast increased elasticity, strength, and wear resistance.
Polyurethane wheels advantages
- Long service life.
- Work on rough surfaces.
- Do not slip on a glossy floor (for example, from a tile).
- High tear resistance.
- It’s easy to find out how to put casters on a chair and solve different problems.
- Do not contact water, salts, or ammonia.
- High resistance to oils, alcohols, and petroleum products.
- Do not lose quality at a temperature from – 40ºС to + 60ºС.
- Easy to clean and do not get dirty over time.
The user has to remember that the gaming chairs with casters cannot be treated with organic and inorganic solvents, or sulfuric acid.
Compare PU and rubber casters
Many people perceive a caster office chair with polyurethane elements as the only acceptable solution that is able to ensure the normal functioning of the mentioned desk chair on casters. The method of casting polyurethane products, in addition, does not require the manufacture of expensive injection molds, which cannot be said about the production of rubber parts. Consequently, the production time is also reduced. If we compare the properties of polyurethane and rubber, we can note the following advantages of the first material:
- Resistance to abrasive loads (polyurethane elements are able to work much longer (in comparison with rubber parts) while maintaining their geometric parameters).
- Polyurethane caster office chair has a wider range of hardness values (from 30 to 95 Shore units).
- Resistance to atmospheric phenomena (casters for office chairs don’t age under the influence of oxygen, moisture, and ultraviolet radiation).
- Polyurethane surfaces have a lower coefficient of friction (in many cases, this characteristic allows you to increase the performance of the desk chair with casters).
- Resistance to chemical attack (all grades of polyurethane are oil and petrol resistant, so office chair with casters is greatly protected).
- Preservation of properties in a wide temperature range.
- Casters for desk chairs also have good adhesive properties (in the case of manufacturing units consisting of polyurethane and metal parts, the bond between the materials is much stronger than in the case of a metal-rubber pair).
- Elasticity (office stool with casters made of polyurethane restores the shape even after prolonged loads (unlike rubber).
- Solid grades of polyurethane are well processed mechanically, which makes it possible to manufacture such parts as bushings, shafts, and rollers without additional injection molds.
In some cases, the durability of polyurethane parts exceeds the service life of rubber analogs by dozens of times.
Are office chair casters universal? Yes, they are suitable for different conditions and are perfect ones for those people, who don’t have a great desire to delve into the specifics of the design of the chair and wheels. Why? Because even in the case when a gas cylinder is stuck in a chair base, the owner will be able to solve this problem without great effort and the need to contact specialists. A chair purchase is a responsible mission, regardless of who chooses the furniture – for a child or for an office to work. Experience has proven that polyurethane wheels are the best option for the office or home use.